Saturday, October 10, 2009

Target

It was so good to be in the United States last weekend! I indulged in 4 Starbucks iced lattes in four days, ate more meat in those days than I’ve had in the past seven weeks, and of course spent more money in seven hours than I have in those seven weeks. Specifically, I spent 20 dollars on food on the plane and in JFK airport (but it was a REALLY good salad …) That’s almost as much as I’ve spent on laundry, peanut butter, cokes and cookies in Haiti since August 9. The strangest part though was Target. I love that place. I haven’t been gone long enough to have forgotten what it’s like to be in a Target store. But what was a little shocking to me was how after about 17 seconds there, I so quickly fell back into my old “shopping = entertainment” mindset. I just sort of wanted everything I laid eyes on. I found myself wishing I was going back to a cool climate just so I had an excuse to buy a cute jacket, and dreaming of an apartment in Somerville to decorate. I haven’t thought about that stuff in so long … but 17 seconds in Target was all it took. There’s certainly nothing wrong with all of that per se, but it’s been sort of nice to not always be thinking about what else I “need” all the time. Turns out I really don’t need much – but wow, those iced lattes were delicious ….

Bobby and Lauren’s wedding was delightful of course. They have a remarkably mature sense of style for being 23 years old. Their wedding perfectly fit their personalities, and their priorities and their tastes. Aside from the red shoes and the wonderful centerpieces and the tasty food, the best thing to me was their decision to forgo the traditional wedding favors in order to make a contribution to Louverture Cleary School instead. I put out some brochures about the school – and of course some donation envelopes – and lots of people took them. Who knows how many will be returned with checks inside, but I just appreciated the opportunity to invite people to think a bit more globally than we usually do at a wedding. And like I said, it was all just SO delightfully Bobby and Lauren.

No comments: