Friday, August 21, 2009

My first joke!

This morning at breakfast I told my first successful joke in Kreyol! The head of the maintenance staff sat next to me and looked at me funny. Now, this is one of the funniest, jolliest people I’ve ever met, so I knew he was just messing with me. I asked in English, “what’s your problem?” and he responded in Kreyol “I’m looking at you, crazy.” To which I responded in busted Kreyol “oh, paske ou we nan glass.” (Oh, because you’re looking in a mirror.) It was a pretty poorly crafted sentence, but they all laughed and even the victim of my joke had to admit that I won. Small victories.

2 comments:

Meg said...

hee hee, nice work!

Bobb-o said...

Way to go! Most people's first "jokes" involve calling people butt-heads or using some form of the word "poop."