Monday, November 30, 2009

Advent



Today is the first Sunday of Advent. I always love this season because I love Christmas, and the anticipation of Christmas, and the music we sing during this time of year is just so much fun. This year though that anticipation has a whole new meaning for those of us who are really just dying to come home for a month to see family and friends, sleep in our own beds, curl up under a blanket and read a book on a snowy day, eat our favorite foods that do not involve rice or pasta and enjoy a nice merlot with dinner. Two weeks until I come home … more than four weeks until Christmas …

But I’m trying to keep my head in the game here and enjoy the things that are wonderful about being here. We had my absolute favorite lunch today – diri ak sos pwa (rice with bean sauce and other yumminess). This morning I went outside and there was one of our security guys up in a coconut tree throwing them down to the ground where someone else chopped them open for a little midmorning snack of coconut milk and the fleshy stuff inside. It’s mango season finally and they’re insanely delicious. Yesterday we spent a day at a fancy hotel and sat out by the pool all afternoon. We had cheeseburgers and fries for lunch! The weather is absolutely gorgeous now and I get to wear flip flops every day. I did yoga outside this morning about 6:15 before breakfast. The kids here really do crack me up every day. Their favorite game now is saying “yo gusto” to me because that’s about the most grammatically incorrect thing you can say in Spanish and I told them it makes me cry when I hear it. Now they just think that’s funny and say it to me as often as possible to watch me scream and run away.

Life is good here – but I can’t wait to be home for a while!

1 comment:

Meg said...

WE CAN'T WAIT TILL YOU GET HOME!!!

We heart Advent, and Christmas, and Betsy! Hooray!!