Saturday, November 14, 2009

Los Debates

In my Spanish classes this week I decided to organize an activity that would get ALL of the kids speaking Spanish instead of the usual kids who love to speak and participate all the time. I made a bunch of debate topics about ridiculous things, and each pair of partners chose a topic to debate, and had a class period to prepare a two minute debate. Then the class voted. It was pretty fun. But I had to think hard about debate topics that would be relevant and interesting to the kids here. I thought I’d share the list, since it gives a pretty good clue about what kids here are thinking about:

Which is better …
Bolito vs. Anyan (two of the dogs on campus)
Boys vvs. Girls
Soccer vs. Basketball
Brazil vs. Argentina (the two favorite international soccer teams in Haiti)
Coca Cola vs. Tampico (this horribly sugary “juice” drink that everyone here buys
Incinerator vs. Compost (this one really turned into “which job is worse?” Compost definitely won that debate!)
Mosquitos vs. ants (also became a debate over which was worse)
Haiti vs. United States
French vs. Spanish
Cats vs. Dogs
Toussaint L’Ouverture vs. Jean Jacques Dessalines (two leaders of the Haitian Revolution)
Short people vs. Tall people

It was pretty funny. Some of them are remarkably good debaters, even in their 4th language. They were intended to be 2 minutes each, but today the two girls debating Dogs vs. Cats were so passionate, and the class was full of commentary and counter-arguments, that I think I let it go on for about 10 minutes. Oh well, managing the clock in the classroom never was my forte.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Oh my gosh I love this! How hilarious!!